INSTlTUT NATIONAL DES TELECOMMUNICATIONS (INT)
The Institut national des telecommunications (INT) is a research and education service under the
directionship of FRANCE TELECOM (Publicity-owned company in charge of operating the French
lelecommunication public networks).
Out of a total permanent staff of 320, the research work force is equivalent to 50 full-time
researchers. There are 120 permanent faculty members and nearly 800 part-time specialists.
INT has two main activities:
- education and Training
- technical research.
Education and Training
The Institut national des telecommunications (INT) belongs to a group of three topnotch Institutions
for Higher Education from the French system of "Grandes Ecoles", ( Telecom-Paris,
Telecom-Bretagne, INT ) that are telecommunication oriented.
INT hosts two graduate schools:
INT has a wide experience in analysing the needs, setting up and providing education tools for
adults, postgraduate education, training programmes for members of several French and foreign
corporation (Eastern Europeans countries and South America).
- A school of Engineering, providing top level education in the fields of Telecommunications,
- Information systems, Electronics and Networking.
- A school of Management, providing an innovative program of combined courses in Management,
- Telecommunications and Information systems. (This program attracts both students and senior
- managers specialising in modern management techniques) and the organisation of complex
- information syslems).
INT is a member of the "Conferences des grandes ecoles" which is a board of Directors of leading
graduate engineering schools in France. (This board called "Commission du titre d'ingenieur" issues
State diplomas under the supervision of the Ministry of Education)
Main themes of research
Research is an essential activity for an institute of higher education and is closely tied not only to
education, but also to the industrial and professional world.
Research domain include:
- microelectronics, microwaves and optoelectronics,
- protocols and formal specifications
- neural network and pattern recognition,
- modelling and performance evaluation of networks,
- natural language processing (group started one year ago)
- electronics dictionaries (monolingual, thesauri...)
All together there are 45 PhD students at INT.
International and natianal relations
The INT is involved in different european projects, among others: COMETT, TEMPUS, ERASMUS,
DELTA, Mobility and Human Ressources (for tne NLP group) etc.
Thanks to these projects and thanks to other connections (comrnon projects, researcher and
teachers exchanges, student exchanges, workshops, etc) the INT is involved with the following
countries: Germany, United Kindom, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy, Russia, Poland,
Hungaria, Usa, Japan.
Besides, INT is involved in the organization and the participation of differents seminars and
conferences (COMIX, ...) Regarding NLP, the INT organizes together with the Universite Paris VII
and the Universite Paris IV (Sorbonne) a regular seminar about "Logic, Linguistics, and computer
(Responsible A. Potopoulou)
INT also host researchers and Professors as sabbatical.
Tools in NLP
- electronics dictionaries (system of electronics dictionaries: DELA),
- automatic parsings of texts (INTEX),
- syntactic parser for French (CRISSTAL)
- terminology database in the telecommunications domain
Name: Institut national des telecommunications (INT)
Adress: 9, rue Charles Fourier
91011, Evry cedex
Contact: Prof. R GUEDJ, Dr Aggeliki FOTOPOULOU